Research and Development
The Australian Government is committed to support research efforts into the mitigation of greenhouse gas emissions through abatement technologies, strategies and innovative management practices.
DAFF is responsible for the management of:
- Climate Change Research Program — Funding was provided for research projects and on-farm demonstration activities from 2008-09 to 2011-12.
- Filling the Research Gap Program — Research funding totalling $201 million will be available to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and enhance sustainable agricultural practices through abatement technologies, strategies and innovative management practices. It also includes a national survey of land management practices conducted by the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) which will underpin the additionality testing and methodology development in Carbon Farming Initiative (CFI).
- Action on the Ground Program — $99 million will be available to assist industry and farming groups test and apply research outcomes in real farming situations.
- Global Research Alliance on Agricultural Greenhouse Gases (the Alliance) — The Australian Government is engaged as a major player in climate change international efforts and actions. DAFF’s Climate Change Division oversees Australia’s commitment to the Alliance. Australia is a founding member and our continued involvement allows us to share research on a global scale that provides important flow on benefits to Australian land managers.
- Global Methane Initiative (GMI) — As part of the government’s international commitments, Australia is a partner country of the GMI. DAFF supports and facilitates the international research efforts towards the reduction of agricultural emissions.
In addition, DAFF is an active partner of the Climate Change Research Strategy for Primary Industries (CCRSPI). It works towards more effective and efficient research to respond to the challenges and opportunities faced by the Australian primary industries in a changing climate.
The National Climate Change Adaptation Research Facility (NCCARF) is part of other national research initiatives which aims to generate the information needed by decision makers to effectively manage the risks of climate change impacts.
Climate Change Research and Development Links
Australian Bureau of Agricultural and Resource Economics and Sciences (ABARES)
Department of Climate Change and Energy Efficiency (DCCEE)
CSIRO – Climate Adaptation Flagship
CSIRO – Sustainable Agriculture Flagship
Clean Energy Future Plan
Council of Rural Research & Development Corporations
22 Mar 2012